Saturday, October 12, 2013

Golden Eggs

We currently have nine hens. They are a mix of hens we bought in May and July.

All summer our coop has been void of eggs.

They should have started laying back in June and August. For the last few months, I have been buying eggs at the store for the family.

Say what? I have "laying" hens and I am buying eggs? Yep, you read that right. What is the point of having a farm with chickens if you can't feed your family, let alone sell them?

These little cluckers have not been earning their keep. I've contemplated making them Sunday dinner. At least then they would do something to benefit the family. Chickens can be amusing and fun to watch, but since I do not have abundant chicken gazing time in my schedule, it isn't happening.

Today was a rare day as Ghon came with the kids and I as we did some of our weekend running. On our way home, we stopped by the farm so Ghon could see the progress made by our stone mason on the fireplace. He checked the coop and found three eggs! Finally! One was still warm. :)

Looks like two, maybe three hens have entered the safe zone.

The pressure is on.

Lay young hens, lay.

No comments:

Post a Comment